A native of Greenwood, South Carolina, Margaret C. Pope is the founder of Pope Flynn, LLC, and past President of the American College of Bond Counsel.
Margaret Pope regularly serves as bond counsel to the State of South Carolina, its agencies, and counties, many municipalities, special purpose districts, universities, hospitals, commissions and authorities. She has been involved in transactions involving all types of public entities in South Carolina and practically every security and financing structure during the course of her 40 year public finance career.
Mrs. Pope is known for her tenacity and attention to detail in assisting clients to formulate and execute financial strategies. She frequently advises clients on a broad spectrum of public finance matters, including identifying and securing funding sources; working with a broad range of underwriters, trustees and financial advisers; conducting referenda; adopting or proposing statutes; pursuing or defending suits to resolve uncertainties about legal and constitutional provisions; negotiating utility service and other contracts; negotiating development agreements; creating joint action agencies; creating special tax districts; acquiring private and public utility systems; assisting clients in obtaining ratings from rating agencies; and securing and maintaining tax-exempt status of obligations.
She often lectures at continuing education events, both for those in the legal field and for those serving in the public sector. She has served on panels of the Bond Attorneys’ Workshop of the National Association of Bond Lawyers, and is a frequent speaker at the annual conferences of the Municipal Association of South Carolina, the South Carolina Association of Counties, and the Special Purpose District Association.
Mrs. Pope also has decades of experience in developing legislative initiatives and in providing assistance, in a non-lobbying capacity, in drafting legislation and in presenting legislation to the General Assembly for the State of South Carolina.
- Disclosure Counsel, $456,225,000 State General Obligation Bonds, Series 2011
- Lead Transaction Counsel, $275,730,000 Tobacco Settlement Asset-Backed Refunding Bonds, Series 2008
- Drafter of Enabling Legislation and Bond Counsel, $750,000,000 State School Facilities Bonds, Series 2003
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- American College of Bond Counsel
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- Municipal Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Association of Counties
- South Carolina Special Purpose Districts Association
Awards and Achievements
- The Best Lawyers in America, Public Finance Law, 2003-2016
- 50 Most Influential People in the Midlands, Columbia Business Monthly
- 2013 Leadership in Law Award, South Carolina Lawyers Weekly
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Business Manager, South Carolina Law Review
- Selected as one of the 2012 Women of Influence, Columbia Business Monthly
- AV Rating by Martindale Hubbell
Civic Activities and Community Involvement
- Past President, American College of Bond Counsel
- Past President and Founding Member, The Crescent Society, a group dedicated to "Recognizing and Inspiring Leadership Excellence in South Carolina Women
- Member, John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Board of Directors, Palmetto Trust
- Board of Directors, Historic Columbia Foundation
- Board of Directors, Governor’s School for the Arts Foundation
- Past Chair, South Carolina Governor’s Commission on Women
- Former Board Member, Greenwood Genetic Center, Newberry College, the Drummond Center, and Midlands Technical College