A native of Spartanburg, South Carolina, Lawrence E. Flynn III is a 2004 graduate of Duke University and a 2007 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law. Having been admitted to practice in 2007, Mr. Flynn concentrates in public finance. Mr. Flynn serves on the firm’s management committee.
Lawrence Flynn’s practice primarily consists of serving as bond counsel and underwriter’s counsel in South Carolina-based transactions. His practice also consists of serving as local attorney to a number of municipalities, counties, and special purpose districts. Mr. Flynn’s focused practice and diverse client base keep him in regular contact with the public finance challenges and opportunities facing South Carolina issuers and results in a broad base of practical knowledge.
Recent engagements have included advising on the transition of a non-profit water company to a governmental entity and serving as bond counsel on its initial offering of revenue bonds; serving as underwriter’s counsel for an innovative tire-recycling facility; serving as bond counsel in the issuance of special-source revenue bonds for an economic development project; and serving as bond counsel to a municipality in the issuance of hospitality-fee backed revenue bonds. He has also been active in developing local economic development initiatives for the cities of Hartsville and Camden.
- Underwriter’s Counsel, $19,330,000 Public Service District Waterworks System Revenue Bonds, Series 2015
- Bond Counsel, $35,590,000 County General Obligation Bonds, Series 2014A
- Bond Counsel, $22,650,000 Regional Water Authority Water System Improvement and Refunding Bonds, Series 2013
- Bond Counsel, $8,500,000 School District General Obligation Bonds, Series 2013
- Placement Agent Counsel, $15,700,000 South Carolina Jobs-Economic Development Authority Solid Waste Disposal Facility Revenue Bonds, Series 2012
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- Government Law Section of South Carolina Bar – Council Member (2010 – 2013)
- Municipal Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Association of Counties
- South Carolina Special Purpose Districts Association
Awards and Achievements
- Best & Brightest 35 and under, 2016, Columbia Business Monthly
- Leadership South Carolina, Class of 2015
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2012
- Board member, SC Thrive
- Treasurer and board member, City of Columbia Parks and Recreation Foundation, 2013 to present
- Member, Duke University Alumni Admissions Advisory Committee
- Member, Columbia Attorney Basketball League
- Council Member, Government Law Section of the South Carolina Bar (2010-2013)