A native of Newberry, South Carolina, Gary T. Pope, Jr. is a 2005 graduate of the University of the South and a 2009 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law and the Moore School of Business. Having been admitted to practice in 2009, Mr. Pope concentrates in public finance.
Gary’s practice primarily consists of representing public entities in South Carolina as bond counsel, disclosure counsel or issuer’s counsel. He regularly advises counties, cities, special purpose districts, as well as the State of South Carolina and several of its public universities and agencies in connection with their debt offerings and public-private partnerships.
His practice also encompasses advice and counsel on the constitutional and statutory constraints on governmental powers, as well as legal issues that frequently precede or accompany debt offerings, including intergovernmental agreements, water purchase and sale contracts, bond referenda, and preparation of official statements.
- Bond Counsel, $37,060,000 Lease Revenue Bonds (State Agency Project), Series 2017
- Bond Counsel and Disclosure Counsel, $30,000,000 County General Obligation Bonds, Series 2016
- Bond Counsel, $22,415,000 University Revenue Bonds, Series 2016
- Bond Counsel, $98,875,000 State General Obligation Bonds, Series 2016A, C, E, F, & G
- Bond Counsel, $60,695,000 Athletic Facilities Revenue Bonds, Series 2015
- Bond Counsel, $191,000,000 Higher Education Revenue Bonds, Series 2015B
- Special Counsel, $125,000,000 Design, Build, Operate, Finance and Maintain Student Housing Public-Private Partnership
Awards and Achievements
- Midlands Legal Elite, Bank and Finance Law, Columbia Business Monthly, 2015 & 2016
- Articles Editor, the American Bar Association’s Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal
- Alex Shipley, Jr. Award, the Department Award for Political Science at the University of the South
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- Municipal Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Association of Counties
- South Carolina Special Purpose Districts Association
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson, Jr., United States District Judge for the District of South Carolina
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2014
- Executive Committee, John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Past Member, Boy Scouts of America Indian Waters Finance Committee