More than 200 public finance clients & billions of dollars in municipal bonds
Pope Flynn’s attorneys have participated in the issuance of several billion dollars of municipal bonds in the past five years in our work with more than 200 public finance clients. During this time one of our members has served as President of the American College of Bond Counsel and we have accomplished exceedingly complex, first-of-their-kind transactions. We have assisted in drafting numerous pieces of legislation and we are regularly consulted on matters of public finance by governmental bodies, support organizations for governmental bodies, financial advisors, lenders and underwriters. Our broad client base provides exposure to many structures and financing needs and keeps our practitioners current with market expectations and practices in the field of public finance.
Solving complex financing problems through traditional & first-of-their-kind transactions
Our governmental clients face challenges in providing funding for capital facilities. While traditional practices may be sufficient for many needs, our experience suggests that some problems can be solved with better outcomes using new practices and different methods of obtaining the use of capital. Individually and collectively, we have established a record for devising and successfully implementing plans to deal with problems that could not be solved by conventional, tried and true means. And we have extensive and very recent experience in public-private partnership transactions and other new methods of solving the ever-present problem of capital funding.
- Enterprise Revenue Bonds: Our attorneys have served as bond and underwriter’s counsel on airport financings.
- General Governmental: We regularly serve as bond counsel, disclosure counsel or underwriter’s counsel on bond issues, lease and installment purchase financings, current and advance refundings of the foregoing, tax anticipation notes, and bond anticipation notes for counties and cities. We have also served as bond counsel in connection with financings secured by special revenue sources of various types including capital project sales taxes and transportation sales taxes.
- Healthcare: We have served as bond counsel, bank counsel, and underwriter’s counsel on financings for public and private hospitals, senior living centers, and related healthcare facilities.
- Higher Education: We have extensive experience as bond counsel, disclosure counsel and underwriter’s counsel in financings for athletic and institutional facilities, as well as student housing for institutions of higher learning.
- Public Schools K-12: We have completed general obligation bond issues, lease and installment purchase financings, current and advance refundings of the foregoing, Qualified School Construction Bonds, Qualified Zone Academy Bonds, Build America Bonds, tax anticipation notes, and bond anticipation notes. We frequently serve as bond counsel on each type of transaction listed (that are still available) and as underwriter’s counsel on all of the foregoing that include publicly offered issues.
- Public Utilities: We regularly serve as bond counsel, bank counsel, and underwriter’s counsel for water, sewer, gas and electricity issues for joint agencies, municipal utilities and special purpose districts.
- States: We frequently serve as bond counsel to the State of South Carolina and our attorneys have served as bond counsel to the State of North Carolina.