August 21, 2018
A native of Newberry, South Carolina, Gary T. Pope, Jr. is a 2005 graduate of the University of the South and a 2009 graduate of the University of South Carolina School of Law and the Moore School of Business. Having been admitted to practice in 2009, Mr. Pope concentrates in public finance.
Gary’s practice primarily consists of representing public entities in South Carolina as bond counsel, disclosure counsel or issuer’s counsel. He regularly advises counties, cities, special purpose districts, as well as the State of South Carolina and several of its public universities and agencies in connection with their debt offerings and public-private partnerships.
His practice also encompasses advice and counsel to public entities on the constitutional and statutory constraints on governmental powers, the Freedom of Information Act, and economic development incentives, as well as legal issues that frequently precede or accompany debt offerings, including drafting intergovernmental agreements and water purchase and sale contracts, advising on bond referenda, and preparing official statements.
Recent engagements include serving as bond counsel to public universities in the financing of their academic, research, student housing, and athletic facilities; advising on referendum proceedings and serving as bond counsel to a special purpose district responding to damage from Hurricane Matthew; advising numerous political subdivisions regarding their power to impose fees and charges; and participating in the most recent Supreme Court of South Carolina case involving tax increment finance and the transaction that followed the unsuccessful challenge to the plan of finance.
- Bond Counsel, $11,300,000 Athletic Facilities Revenue Bonds, Series 2018A
- Bond Counsel, $11,535,650 Water and Sewer System Revenue Bond, Series 2017A (State Revolving Fund Loan)
- Bond Counsel, $160,335,000 State General Obligation Bonds, Series 2017 A & B
- Bond Counsel, $2,015,000 Municipal Stormwater System Revenue Bond, Series 2017
- Bond Counsel, $2,300,000 Special Purpose District General Obligation Bond, Series 2017
- Bond Counsel, $37,060,000 Lease Revenue Bonds (State Agency Project), Series 2017
- Bond Counsel and Disclosure Counsel, $30,000,000 County General Obligation Bonds, Series 2016
- Bond Counsel, $191,000,000 Higher Education Revenue Bonds, Series 2015B
- Special Counsel, $125,000,000 Design, Build, Operate, Finance and Maintain Student Housing Public-Private Partnership
Awards and Achievements
- Legal Elite of the Upstate, Bank & Finance Law, Government Law, Greenville Business Magazine, 2018
- South Carolina Super Lawyers, Government Finance (Rising Star, 2018)
- Midlands Legal Elite, Bank and Finance Law, Columbia Business Monthly, 2015 & 2016
- Articles Editor, the American Bar Association’s Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal
- Alex Shipley, Jr. Award, the Department Award for Political Science at the University of the South
- AV Rating by Martindale Hubbell
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar Association
- Municipal Association of South Carolina
- South Carolina Association of Counties
- South Carolina Special Purpose Districts Association
Civic Activities and Community Involvement
- Leadership Columbia, Class of 2014
- Executive Committee, John Belton O’Neall Inn of Court
- Rotary Club of Spartanburg
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Joseph F. Anderson, Jr., United States District Judge for the District of South Carolina